陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! 陈凯博客 Kai Chen Blog: www.blogspot.com 陈凯电邮 Kai Chen Email: elecshadow@aol.com 陈凯电话 Kai Chen Telephone: 661-367-7556

非人文化输出非人生意 Chinese Business in Africa

in 陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 pm
by fountainheadkc • 1.397 Posts

非人文化输出非人生意
Chinese Business in Africa - Export Inhumanity

每日一语:

Those who never take themselves as human beings will logically treat others as animals. Those who are slaves themselves will logically tend to enslave others. --- Kai Chen

那些从不把自己当作人的人们也会逻辑地将他人作为牲畜。 那些将自己当作奴隶的人们也会逻辑地永远奴役他人。 --- 陈凯

"It's very little money," said Nguni, 25, describing his job at the Collum mine. "There are no leave days. These people are very stingy when it comes to money, even though we make a lot of profit for the mine. We are seen as nonentities. The mine management is just concerned about profit, not human life."

我们从没有休息日。 工资也极低。 那些中国人对钱搂得很紧,即使矿上盈利很大。 我们从没有被当作人看。 矿上只看钱,根本不管人的死活。 --- Nguni - An African miner under the Chinese management

Dear Visitors:

I will paste an article from today's LA Times about the inhumane treatment of the African miners by the Chinese business management in Africa below.

More and more, due to the Chinese engergy crisis, the Chinese government invest overseas to satisfy its domestic needs. Yet the inhuman culture can only export inhuman practice overseas by its governmental businesses. You can see that from a despotic regime, what kind of culture it is exporting. And I will as you the question, especially to those China lovers:

"What the world would be like if the Chinese are in charge??"

By the end of the article, one Chinese official claims that all the strive and misery is due to some "cultural gap" and misunderstanding. Most Chinese will have the same notion of this "cultural misunderstanding" to turn a blind eye on their own slavery and inhumanity. The truth is that there is no such thing, as the Chinese claim, as a "Cultural Gap". There is only a "Human Gap" and "Freedom Gap" and "Dignity Gap" that the Chinese have not begun to realize they have with the rest of the world, not to mention that they will make an effort to bridge the gaps, but first treating themselves as human beings.

Now please read the article.

Best. Kai Chen 陈凯

----------------------------------------------

Africans Lash Out at Chinese Employers
非洲工人谴责中国生意人

Africans Lash Out at Chinese Employers
By Robyn Dixon, Times Staff Writer
October 6, 2006

MAAMBA, Zambia — Deep in the tunnel of the Collum mine, coal dust swirls thickly, and it's stifling for workers such as Chengo Nguni. He describes his $2-a-day job with a sigh: His supervisor yells incomprehensibly in Chinese. His rubber boots leak. The buttons to control the flow of ore out of the mine often deliver an electric shock.

But the worst thing about life in the Chinese-owned mine in southern Zambia is that there is no such thing as a day off. Ever.

ADVERTISEMENTWhen the government minister concerned with the region, Alice Simango, saw the conditions at the Collum mine, she wept on national television and accused the management of treating workers like animals, prompting the government to close the mine for three days in July.

China's hunger for raw materials and energy is driving new investment across Africa, with trade between China and the continent up more than 300% since 2000 to more than $40 billion a year. China is the main market for Sudan's oil. It has invested in Nigerian oil, provided oil-rich Angola with a $2-billion loan with easy terms and improved relations with Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwean regime, which is criticized by economists and human rights activists.

Critics say Chinese environmental and labor standards are often poor. In Ghana, environmentalists have accused Chinese oil company Sinopec of desecrating a national park.

In Zambia, there is a growing backlash over low wages and poor conditions in Chinese operations.

At the NFC Africa copper mine in Chambishi, a Chinese-owned operation in northeastern Zambia, hundreds of workers rioted in late July over reports that the management was reneging on a pay increase. Four were shot and wounded by Chinese employees of the company. Another was shot by police.

Like their counterparts at the Collum mine, the NFC workers rail against poor working conditions, low pay and lax safety standards. Last year, a blast at an NFC subsidiary explosives factory in Chambishi killed every worker on the site — more than 50 people. NFC is a subsidiary of China's government-owned Chinese Non-Ferrous Metals Corp.

The growing resentment sparked an acrimonious debate in Zambia's recent presidential elections, with Chinese Ambassador Li Baodong making comments suggesting that Beijing might sever ties and investors might pull out if leading opposition candidate Michael Sata won the Sept. 28 vote.

Sata, who at one point threatened to expel Chinese traders if he became president, lost the election, and he alleged massive vote fraud. In the heat of the campaign, his Patriotic Front claimed that the use of Chinese computers to tally the count could skew results in the government's favor, an accusation strongly denied by Chinese Embassy officials.

Sata argued that most Chinese investors in Zambia were exploiters who brought the country no benefit. He accused Li of interfering in the election.

"I find the reaction by the Chinese government very childish and dictatorial," Sata said, accusing China of campaigning for the ruling Movement for Multiparty Democracy, which has been in power 15 years.

Critics say that safety standards in China's mines are among the worst in the world and that Chinese companies have exported low pay and hazardous conditions to Africa and elsewhere. But a manager at the Chambishi mine, Xu Ruiyong, strongly contested those accusations, saying the mine has one of the best safety records in the area.

The company recently reached an agreement with unions to bring pay scales at the mine into line with the national minimum wage. But workers contend that employees doing similar work at other mines are paid more.

For the miners toiling underground, submerged in their own bread-and-butter struggle, the debates seem remote.

"It's very little money," said Nguni, 25, describing his job at the Collum mine. "There are no leave days. These people are very stingy when it comes to money, even though we make a lot of profit for the mine. We are seen as nonentities. The mine management is just concerned about profit, not human life."

The people of Chambishi were pleased when Chinese investors took over a large copper mine in 1997 and reopened it as NFC Africa in 2003. Many state-owned mines, including the Chambishi operation, had failed in the early 1990s.

"But people got very frustrated because of the working conditions," said shop steward Angel Chama, 29. "At the moment in the mining industry, people are not happy with the Chinese investors. I think there's no hope unless the government gets really tough on these guys."

Albert Mando, general secretary of the National Miners and Allied Workers Union, said that before the pay deal was reached in July, the lowest-paid workers at NFC got $14 a month. Under the deal, that was increased to $68, roughly the country's minimum wage.

He said injuries were common and that workers were often afraid to complain because they were hired on one-year contracts and could easily be fired.

The union officials believe management is "disregarding the labor laws of this country," Mando said. "When you look at where these people come from, we think they're not serious about safety. We feel the government should be tougher."

Although the government mandates a minimum wage, Zambia has some of Africa's weakest labor laws.

NFC employee Lassmithy Sakeni, 27, who was injured in the July riots, said popular resentment toward the Chinese in the area was growing.

"They're not liked," Sakeni said. "They're not wanted here."

In late July, hundreds of rock-throwing workers tried to force their way into the mining compound. They later marched to a Chinese residential compound in Chambishi township, where a company manager fired a shotgun at the rioters, wounding four. A government inquiry is underway.

"We saw a Chinese official was shooting at the miners. The second shot hit me in the head," said Elias Siama, 32. "After being discharged from the clinic, I reported for work, but I was told not to come to work because I was seen as being among the ringleaders."

Xu, the company official, said that Chinese mine employees at the compound were terrified for their lives and that the leaders of the protest should be jailed for life.

But he acknowledged that the company had to accommodate itself to local circumstances in Zambia. With an eye to the long term, the mine's managers are planning to contribute money to community projects such as education and HIV/AIDS prevention.

"I admit that for us Chinese, we must learn something new when we are operating a company in a foreign country, to meet the cultural gap," Xu said. "I think we are able to make things better."

Scroll up

陈凯博客 Kai Chen Blog: www.kaichenblog.blogspot.com 陈凯电邮 Kai Chen Email: elecshadow@aol.com 陈凯电话 Kai Chen Telephone: 661-367-7556
Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: ancientgroundhog
Board Statistics
The forum has 906 topics and 2638 posts.