陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! 陈凯博客 Kai Chen Blog: www.blogspot.com 陈凯电邮 Kai Chen Email: elecshadow@aol.com 陈凯电话 Kai Chen Telephone: 661-367-7556

【看耶鲁】陈凯耶鲁签书 畅谈自由 Kai Chen Yale Speech

in 陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:24 pm
by fountainheadkc • 1.397 Posts

【看耶鲁】陈凯耶鲁签书 畅谈自由
Kai Chen Yale Speech

------------------------------------------------------------

【大纪元4月9日讯】(大纪元记者游葳康州报导)

原中国国家篮球队的运动员、“奥运长跑自由衫”发起人陈凯,于4月2、3日应耶鲁大学“院长茶会”(Master Tea)系列座谈会的邀请,来到耶鲁与师生畅谈中共专制政权的真相,并在耶鲁书店举办了他的自传《一比十亿:通往自由的旅程》(One In A Billion: Journey Toward Freedom )的签名会。

他在签名会及座谈会上向听众解释了中共如何泯灭人性,使现在的中国人成了没有灵魂的活死人。因为共产主义无神论,今天,没有信仰的中国人已堕落到不识好坏,不识真假,不识是非。也因为没有信仰、不识好坏,中国人必须依靠外国人对自己的评价来肯定自己的存在与价值。

他说人在中国被当作工具,被当作在一部机器中任人放置的零件。运动员被当成国家的工具及财产,不被当成一个有个人意志的人。他们被集中训练专业技能,除此之外就是政治洗脑,完全没有文化课,就像训练赛马一样的训练人,国家对运动员个人素质的培养与未来一点也不关心。

作为一个运动员,他不会抵制奥运,但他觉得现在在北京办奥运是不对的。他说,中共利用奥运来洗刷人们对它对人类犯罪的记忆,并把奥运当成使它这个犯罪的政权合法化的工具。

他举例,中共光为了从苏联得到核弹技术,征集粮食送给苏联,就导致中国有三千万人饿死。后来的文化大革命、种种政治运动、天安门大屠杀,到现在的迫害法轮功、一胎化更是害死了无数的人,它是世界上最大的犯罪集团。

他表示,人们必须要清楚的了解到中共的本质,如果人们不了解他会努力确定人们了解。所以他选在奥运准备在北京召开的前夕出版了这本自传,并在去年发起“奥运长跑自由衫”运动,希望唤起人们对中共罪行的关注。

4月3日,陈凯应“院长茶会”系列座谈会的邀请,与耶鲁师生畅谈中共专制政权的真相。(大纪元)

[size=18]昔日农场“改造” 今天为自由奥运长跑 [/size]

1953 年出生在北京的陈凯,由于他天生个子高,又很有打篮球的天赋,很早就被国家体委的教练看中,送到北京训练中心。但后来因为他有亲人在台湾,有“海外关系”,于是被送至农场。

他曾一度逃去广东,结果被抓回,送回劳改农场。这时,他在训练中心的一个好友,是个田径选手,也因“海外关系”被送到农场改造,竟因严酷的生活条件和对前途的绝望,而死在那里。这对他的影响很大,使他决定一定要离开农场,否则等待他的就是死亡。

1976 和1989天安门事件他都是目击者。六四事件更加强了陈凯的一个信念,如果不重视个体的价值,共产专制难以灭亡,中国不会有希望。因此他把自己“追求个人价值和理想”的心路历程,写成了英文自传《一比十亿:通向自由的旅程》,去年在美国出版。

同时他发起了“奥运长跑自由衫”运动,穿着印有天安门广场上学生所塑立的民主女神像的T恤,他跑过了美洲、欧洲、澳洲、台湾,呼吁国际社会关注中国人权和自由。

做这些事时,那位被送至农场而死亡的运动员好友一直在他心中,是他的动力。他要证明在无人性的暴政统治下,除了屈服外,还有其他出路。◇

Scroll up

RE: 【看耶鲁】陈凯耶鲁签书 畅谈自由 Kai Chen Yale Speech

in 陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:26 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-kaichen...0,7139976.story

The Hartford Courant Report on Kai Chen
媒体对我在耶鲁签书的报道

Ex-Player On Chinese National Team Raises Warnings About Repression

Former Chinese Athlete Finds Freedom Priceless[/size]

By DOM AMORE | Courant Staff Writer
April 5, 2008

NEW HAVEN — - The story still brings tears to Kai Chen's eyes. The images of his best friend and fellow athlete, forced to depart four decades ago.

The day Chen saw his friend leave, he could see, not far off, a similar fate for himself.

"I knew there had to be another way," Chen said, "another way besides misery and suffering and death."

Chen, who grew up in Maoist China, has nonetheless lived a life of free choice and survived to write about it. His book, "One in a Billion: Journey Toward Freedom," chronicles his life as a professional athlete in China, beginning in the days of the Cultural Revolution. Today, with the Olympics in Beijing a few months away, Chen wants to tell the world that little has really changed there.

In an emotional, often spellbinding 90-minute discussion at the Yale Bookstore this week, Chen, 55, recounted his life and insights as his daughter, Alex, a senior who played basketball at Yale, sat in the audience.

As a teenager, Chen was growing, on his way to 6 feet 7. During the late 1960s, when Mao insisted young people go out to the countryside to learn the ways of hard work, he was assigned to a grain depot. But his size and strength caught attention, and he was deemed a "special project," reassigned to Beijing to play basketball. With the growing popularity of China's table tennis program, the government had seen the propaganda possibilities of using sports to gain international legitimacy.

While in Beijing, Chen met Xiao, a track athlete, and they became close friends, but both had a secret.

"One day, he told me he was leaving," Chen said. "[The authorities] had found problems with his family background. I went to the train station to see him off, and I knew sooner or later I would face the same fate."

Xiao went back to the countryside, and shortly thereafter, when Chinese officials learned that Chen had relatives in Taiwan, he, too, was sent back. Chen continually resisted and joined the military so he could play basketball.

He was subjected to rigid training, at one point was hospitalized with bleeding ulcers and anemia, and he nearly died during his "training."

In 1972, he learned that Xiao, despondent over the end of his athletic career, had died of carbon monoxide poisoning; drunk, he had built a fire in a poorly ventilated room. From that day forward, Chen insisted on exercising his own choices, in spite of Chinese authoritarianism and culture.

"It is one thing to have fear," he said. "It is another to have moral confusion. People in China do not believe in individual freedom. They do not even believe such a thing is possible. They have been taught to believe that individual freedom would bring chaos."

Chen went on to play for top military teams in China and, eventually, for the national team, where he became more exposed to outside ideologies. After his retirement from basketball, in 1979, he met Susan Grueneberg, a U.S. exchange student. The two eventually married and in 1981 Chen moved to Los Angeles to start a family.

"I remember the first time Susan and I celebrated my birthday," Chen said, fighting back tears. "I never knew I had a birthday. We always celebrated Mao's birthday, the army's birthday, China's birthdays. It was the first time I realized my existence was significant."

By coincidence, Chen was back in Beijing visiting family members in 1989 at the time of the massacre at Tiananmen Square. "In a way, I am like the Forrest Gump of China," he said.

In the years since, Chen has become an activist, to raise awareness of China's regime and to raise the call for human rights. Last year, he launched an "Olympic Freedom" T-shirt campaign to remind the world of the bloody events at Tiananmen. The shirts are emblazoned with the words, "We will never forget."

In recent years, basketball players such as Wang Zhizhi and Yao Ming have left China for the NBA, but to Chen that does not represent progress. "First they must sign what I call a 'soul-selling contract,'" he said. "They are still the property of China."

Chen gave a copy of his book to an old friend, the mother of a young athlete in China. They began exchanging e-mails across the Pacific, the woman telling Chen she wished to learn English so she could read the book more thoroughly. Then in one e-mail, she told him the officials had become aware of his book.

"I thought, 'oh-oh,'" Chen said. "I got no more e-mails from her, and when I sent her one, it came back. That e-mail address no longer existed. I saw again how nothing has really changed."

Contact Dom Amore

at damore@courant.com.

Scroll up

RE: 【看耶鲁】陈凯耶鲁签书 畅谈自由 Kai Chen Yale Speech

in 陈凯论坛 Kai Chen Forum 不自由,毋宁死! Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:27 pm

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24217

Bball player Chen criticizes China
耶鲁大学对陈凯讲演的报道

Bball player Chen criticizes China

Reddit Eric Randall

Kai Chen has a request for those traveling to China for this summer’s Olympics: “When you go there, do something or say something. Tell people that Tiananmen Square happened.”

The political activist, author and former member of the Chinese National Basketball Team spoke Thursday at a Jonathan Edwards College Master’s Tea to an audience of about 25. Chen, who said he fears returning to his homeland because of his activism, discussed his life, his grievances with the Chinese government and the upcoming Olympics.

Growing up during China’s Cultural Revolution, Chen, 54, said he found “sustenance” playing basketball. At the age of 17, the six-foot-seven Chen was recruited to the Chinese National Basketball Team.

But the government soon expelled him from the team because of his grandmother’s connections with the Nationalist Army in Taiwan, which fought against the Communist regime before China’s civil war in the 1940s. It was a low point for Chen, he said.

Despite this setback, he said, “I chose to make an effort to live and succeed and go towards freedom and happiness.”

After years of evading the government’s order to send him back to the countryside and a brief but near deadly stint with the army — poor nutrition and an ulcer left him hospitalized — Chen managed to work his way back to the National Team.

At the age of 27, when he was at what he describes as the peak of his career, Chen made the difficult decision to leave basketball by faking a heart condition because he felt he could no longer represent the Chinese government.

“The system and the country have always held my love for the sport as a hostage against me,” he explained. “They force you to use this thing that you love to benefit something you despise.”

After China opened up diplomatic relations with the United States in 1979, Chen met his future wife, Susan, a U.S. student studying in Beijing. They married after two years of courtship and soon moved to the United States.

Chen described his bleak outlook on life before he came to America: “I never believed happiness existed because I’d never seen it.”

Yet in America he found it. When asked what makes America strong, Chen gestured to the audience.

“Here, in your eyes I can see a yearning for truth and trust,” he said. “I’m here for that. In China they do not have that look.”

Now a U.S. citizen, Chen said he still harbors anger towards the Chinese government.

“The damage they do to you is not material; it’s spiritual,” he said. “The people in China have no way to judge right and wrong — only what is powerful.”

With this in mind, Chen began the Olympic Freedom T-Shirt Movement. While not a proponent of a boycott — as an athlete, he understands the importance of the games — he wants those traveling to the Olympics this summer wear his shirt as a sign of protest.

Haley Warden ’08 said she took issue with some of Chen’s characterizations of the Chinese people.

“While he seemed to attribute the passivity of [the] Chinese to a pervasive slave mentality, I have been encouraged by my interactions with Chinese people,” she said in an e-mail after the talk.

One sophomore in attendance, who declined to give his name, said he liked Chen’s viewpoint.

“I thought he was a very reasonable speaker,” he said. “I didn’t think he was radical at all.”

Warden agreed: “I think that he’s very hopeful that he and like-minded individuals can bring change to China, or at least awareness,” she said.

Scroll up

陈凯博客 Kai Chen Blog: www.kaichenblog.blogspot.com 陈凯电邮 Kai Chen Email: elecshadow@aol.com 陈凯电话 Kai Chen Telephone: 661-367-7556
Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: ancientgroundhog
Board Statistics
The forum has 906 topics and 2636 posts.